Children naturally enjoy spending a lot of time in the great outdoors and so at some point will have exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from sunlight. Sunlight is a wonderful thing as it is a great source of vitamin D for our bodies and a sunny day gives us a feel good factor. However too much exposure to UV across a lifetime can lead to sight threatening conditions such as cataracts.
Children can be less capable of blocking UV than adults and so are more open to their light sensitive retina becoming damaged; because the lens inside a child’s eye is less capable of filtering these high-energy rays. Kids also spend more time than adults outdoors and that is why it is important for kids to wear protective eye wear like KiddiOptics sunglasses, that can block 100 percent of the suns UV rays. Infants, children and young people should wear UV protective sunglasses when they are outdoors during daylight. UV rays are invisible so even on a cloudy day the UV can penetrate the cloud cover.
Now you understand how important it can be for children to wear sunglasses, KiddiOptics will share with you some of our own tried and tested methods to encourage children to wear their sunglasses more often:
- Allow your child to have a choice in the style of sunglasses that they are going to wear, when children choose sunglasses that they like there is a higher chance that they will enjoy wearing it.
- Try to have a selection of sunglasses that your child can choose from, so when they get bored with one style they can pick another.
- Teach your child about why sunglasses are very useful to protect their eyes.
- Remind your child to wear sunglasses when playing outdoors.
- If your toddler is not keen on wearing sunglasses, then encourage them to wear a wide brimmed hat.
- Set a good example by wearing sunglasses yourself.
- Buy good quality, comfortable sunglasses for your child.